Use this Mulch Application Chart when applying material:
How much mulch or compost do I need?
We know how important it is to get the right measurement for anything. How you measure your garden area (usually in square feet), and how soil amendments, compost, mulch and wood chips are sold (usually in cubic yards) are two different measurements.
That is why we have we are happy to provide you with this little cheat sheet!
- First, find out the size of the area you want to cover in square feet.
(This is easy; just multiply the length by the width of the area you want to apply mulch or compost to.)
______________ square feet
- Next, decide how deep you want your mulch to be, in inches.
(4 inches is usually sufficient for mulch)
_______________ inches deep
- Now multiply the size of your garden in sq ft (#1) by the depth of your mulch in inches (#2).
______________ sq ft x _______________ in = __________
- Divide the number you get in #3 by 324.
- ____________ divide by 324 = ______________ cubic yard
This is the number of cubic yards of mulch or compost you will need to cover your project area.